How to write a creative or marketing project brief for an agency
Do you want to find a way to start of a new collaboration in the best possible way? to get your suppliers to hit the ground running working for you and be the coveted client that everyone wants to work with?
Here is the secret. It starts in the pitch process, that’s where you lay the foundation for team work, and you can set the tone right out the gate.
Depending on the type of project and collaboration of course, this is what a brief should contain, if it’s some sort of marketing collaboration or project:
- Short outline of the process and the timings for said process, from RFI (request for information) to presentations to final decision day and a desired start date for the collaboration.
- Contact information and their roles, from your company.
- Short, relevant background information about your company. Business goals, competitors, current challenges and anything else that might help the agencies to create proposals which can help you succeed in your role.
- Budget – helps the agencies to prioritize and create proposal right away that fits the scope you have available.
- Objective – what is the purpose of the collaboration or project?
- Target audience – who are you looking to reach?
- Market – what’s your market? or desired market? what do you know? and what do you not know?
- Goal & KPIs – how do you measure success from this collaboration or project? what defines it’s success?
- Integrations – from technology to other agencies or departments that they may have to work with
- Scope – what is the actual scope of your request?
- Delimitations – is there any clarifications you need to make in terms of what is not included in this project and pitch?
- The requirements – list the requirements, if applicable, for this initiative. Everything from technology to requirements that the agency needs to meet (team, values etc)
- Your expectations of an agency – what do you need and want out of this collaboration? be clear.
(if applicable – depends on the type of project and can be supplied at a later stage in a pitch)
- Marketing strategy & plan
- Target audience information
- Business plan
- Supporting information on any technology and integration with systems